Citywide Notification about Lead Testing in School Drinking Water
Please read the following letter from the DOE about testing for lead in water in schools. Fully formatted letter and translations are attached.
February 1, 2023
Dear Families and Staff:
I would like to provide an update on the ongoing measures at the NYC Department of
Education (DOE) to ensure that the water in our schools is safe for students and staff.
First and foremost, New York City water is safe. Families and staff should rest
assured that our drinking water is of the highest quality in the world. New York City’s
water meets or exceeds all Federal and State standards. In addition, the DOE works
with other City agencies to ensure there is safe drinking water in schools. The safety
and well-being of students and staff is our highest priority.
In accordance with state law, all schools must test for lead in water every three
years. Starting in 2023, the DOE will begin a new testing cycle, which will conclude in
December 2025. In the first phase (Cohort 2023) of this round, a third of buildings
will be tested.
Your school building has been selected to be a part of the 2023 cohort. Once the
building has been tested and the lab results received, you will receive a notification
of the results. In any building where test results show even one water outlet above
the action level, the DOE will implement its standard response protocol.
Please visit https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-life/space-and-facilities/space-andfacilities-reports/water-safety to learn more about the robust protocol we use to
ensure the safety of drinking water in each and every school.
- 35202 Citywide Notification Backpack Letter Lead Testing 2023_Arabic.pdf
- 35202 Citywide Notification Backpack Letter Lead Testing 2023_Chinese.pdf
- 35202 Citywide Notification Backpack Letter Lead Testing 2023_Russian.pdf
- 35202 Citywide Notification Backpack Letter Lead Testing 2023_Spanish.pdf
- 35202 Citywide Notification Backpack Letter Lead Testing 2023_Urdu.pdf
- Citywide Notification Backpack Letter Lead Testing 2023.pdf